Businesses across the United States are not only facing the uncertain economic times of the COVID-19 pandemic but are also challenged by a record-breaking labor shortage.
The latest U.S. Bureau of Labor (BLS) statistics show more available jobs and fewer available employees creating a record 10.9 million job openings in the country in July 2021.
Record 10.9 million Job Openings in U.S. in July 2021
“From June to July 2021, the number of job openings was up 749,000 to 10.9 million, the highest level since we started tracking job openings in December 2000,” said a BLS mid-September release.
According to the BLS: Job openings increased in several industries, with the largest increases in health care and social assistance (+294,000); finance and insurance (+116,000); and accommodation and food services (+115,000). The number of job openings increased in the Northeast, South, and West regions.
Ryan Herzog, an economics professor at Gonzaga University, told KXLY that many people have left their jobs to find new professions and some Baby Boomers have left the workforce permanently during the pandemic.
“The shift is real,” said Herzog, who could not point to any one reason why so many employees have left, but he expects the current labor shortage to last awhile.
How Temp Workers Can Keep Your Business Fully Staffed
One option for businesses to remain fully staffed during the current labor shortage is to utilize temporary workers.
Hiring temporary workers has already been a solution for businesses that experience seasonal demand, but it is also an attractive option for those companies unable to fulfill full time positions with qualified applicants.
The American Staff Association (ASA), advocate for staffing, recruiting, and the workforce solutions industry, said in its August 2021 monthly report that “temporary and contract staffing employment from mid-July through mid-August grew 32 percent with the same period in 2020.”
“Even with the midsummer dip in temporary and contract employment, demand for staffing services remains strong as we near the end of August,” said Cynthia Davidson, ASA senior director of research.
Advantages of Hiring Temp Workers for Your Business
Patricia Schaefer writing in ZenBusiness says the use of temporary workers has steadily grown in the United States since William Russell Kelly opened the first temp staffing agency in 1946.
“Temp workers currently possess a myriad of other titles including accountants, financial officers, assembly-line workers, nurses, doctors, scientists, lawyers and information technology professionals,” Schaefer writes.
Schaefer points out that hiring temp workers to help with the current labor shortage can have the following advantages for your business:
- Adjust Quickly to Workforce Fluctuations: Having a pipeline of temp workers can help any business that will experience workforce fluctuations due to vacations, maternity and paternity leave, disability leave and illnesses.
- Maintain Staffing Flexibility: Not only do businesses benefit from being able to staff up (and down) to meet peak demand or lulls in the marketplace, but employees can also benefit by having the flexibility of choosing temp assignments vs. committing to full time employment.
- Trial Run for Full Time Employment: Often businesses will be impressed enough with their temporary employees that they will offer them a full time position. Some companies even use temp workers to recruit and test the abilities of possible full time hires.
- Saves Time and Money: Hiring a temp worker can be more cost-effective than hiring a full time employee with full benefits. Time and money are saved when using an agency such as PRT Staffing as skilled temporary workers are already recruited and screened.
- Leads to Long-Term Relationship with a Staffing Agency: Hiring temp workers can lead to a long-term relationship with a staff agency that understands your unique workforce needs.
PRT Staffing, with offices in Arizona, Florida, Georgia, and Illinois, can provide everything from staffing solutions to HR responsibilities to on-site services to background checks and drug testing for your company.
Contact PRT Staffing today to learn more about our fast, flexible staffing solutions that can meet your ever-changing needs.